Candidacy status is an indication that a doctoral scholar has developed sufficient mastery of a discipline to produce an original research contribution in their field.
PhD scholars are eligible for candidacy when they have earned at least 54 credit hours at the 500 level or above. All incomplete (I) and In Progress (IP) grades must be resolved. Candidates must be in good standing with the program. Scholars must also complete the following before entering candidacy:
- JPE: LGS Ethics course JPE 600 (JPE 610 may be completed after entering candidacy)
- Chemistry JPE Requirements
- Second Year Qualifying Exam
- TATTO: TATT 600 & TATT 605 (x 2 semesters)
- Six chemistry courses (or equivalent course release based on transfer coursework) with a minimum G.P.A. of 2.7
Scholars should enter candidacy as soon as all requirements have been completed. Scholars must reach candidacy by September 15 of their fourth year. Scholars who do not meet this deadline will be placed on academic probation, will not be eligible for PDS funds, and may forfeit financial support. These sanctions will be lifted when the scholar enters candidacy.
How to Apply
Scholars enter candidacy by submitting the application to enter candidacy, available on the LGS website. Chemistry will confirm that all program requirements have been met and LGS will confirm that remaining requirements have been met. Scholars are considered “in candidacy” when the Dean has approved the application to enter candidacy.