section IV, article 5
The dissertation is the culmination of a scholar’s Emory training. And after it’s over, most new PhDs throw a party! Many of the degree requirements must be completed well ahead of the actual defense, so make sure to familiarize yourself with the procedures starting early in any semester in which you may graduate.
The Laney Graduate School sets the requirements for the completion of the graduate degree. Scholars should familiarize themselves with these requirements. The Graduate Program Coordinator is available to assist scholars in navigating the degree completion procedures but it is the responsibility of the scholar to complete and submit all required documents.
Chemistry-Specific Degree Completion Requirements
- Scholars must schedule and advertise a public defense.
- The final and complete dissertation must be submitted for examination to the scholar’s entire committee at least seven days in advance of the scheduled defense.
- All committee members must be present at the defense.
If any of these chemistry-specific degree requirements are not met, the defense must be rescheduled.
If a scholar has not completed the degree at the end of the seventh year, the program may grant a one-year extension. The scholar must submit a petition requesting that the program initiative the extension. The program must submit notice of this extension to the Dean, no later than August 1 of the seventh year (before the eighth year). The notice must contain a completion timeline signed by both the scholar and the dissertation committee chair or co-chairs. Scholars who enroll for this extension year will be responsible for some tuition.
If a scholar has not completed the degree at the end of the eighth year, the scholar may continue work for at most one additional academic year and only with approval from the Dean. To obtain approval, the program must submit a request to the Dean no later than August 1 of the eighth year (before the ninth year). The scholar must submit a petition to initiate this request. The request must:
- outline the reasons the scholar has not completed
- consider whether the scholar needs to repeat any part of the qualifications for candidacy or obtain approval of a new dissertation prospectus
- present a detailed completion timeline signed by both the scholar and the dissertation committee chair or co-chairs. Scholars who enroll for this extension year will be responsible for some tuition.
Share Your Thoughts
If you would like to provide feedback on this handbook entry, we invite you to submit this form.