Section I, Article 5
Safety is the foundation of research. Without a safety focus, confidence in the lab can go hand-in-hand with carelessness, a sense that nothing can go wrong because nothing has gone wrong. Build real confidence by committing to being part of a safety first culture every day.
Basic Safety Guidelines
All occupants of chemistry buildings must:
- Have completed online safety training in BioRaft within the past year (minimum: EHSO Research Laboratory Safety Training course).
- Always be able to locate emergency equipment including the emergency shower, eyewash, spill kit, first aid, and fire extinguisher.
In addition, all occupants of laboratory spaces must:
- Be familiar with the Chemical Hygiene Plan and follow safe laboratory practices (http://www.ehso.emory.edu/content-manuals/SAF-351-Chemical-Hygiene-Plan.pdf).
- Wear appropriate PPE for the laboratory work being done (minimum: long pants, closed toed shoes, fire retardant laboratory coat, and eye protection).
- Not work alone in any laboratory space. It is your responsibility to coordinate with other researchers to ensure that you have a colleague with you in the lab at all times.
- Properly dispose of all chemical waste, including broken glassware, as directed.
- Read the labels of chemicals carefully and follow all handling procedures.
Safety Data Sheets (“SDS’s”) contain detailed safety information for specific types of lab work and are available on the Emory Environmental Health and Safety Office (EHSO) website. You should familiarize yourself with SDS’s that apply to your lab . Call the EHSO Spill Team at 404-727-2888 for assistance with chemical, biological, and radiation spills.
What to do When There is a Fire Alarm
- Evacuate the building immediately using the closest exit
- Once outside the building, go to the 1st floor of the Peavine parking deck.
- Do not re-enter the building until Facilities announces “ALL CLEAR”.
For more information about emergency responses, please visit Emory’s Office of Critical Event Preparedness and Response website.
If there is a fire that requires mitigation of any kind, please report the incident to the Emory Police Department at 404-727-6115 after the fire has been mitigated. Further, if a fire extinguisher was used, please call Work Management at 404-727-7463 to have the fire extinguisher replaced.
If there is an injury during an emergency, please remember to complete the PeopleSoft accident injury report after the health and safety of the affected person(s) has been stabilized. If you are unsure who is responsible for completing this report, please contact your primary research mentor.
Student Case Management and Intervention Services
Student Case Management And Intervention Services is the appropriate office to contact for assistance with acute concerns regarding your own well-being or to seek help for a student or colleague for whom you are urgently concerned.
Emergency Contact List
|Emergency (police, fire or EMS)||911 or 404-727-6111|
|Non-emergency Emory police||404-727-6115|
|EHSO spill response team||404-727-2888|
|Flood or other urgent facilities issue||404-727-7463|
|Student Intervention Services||404-727-4193|
Share Your Thoughts
If you would like to provide feedback on this handbook entry, we invite you to submit this form.